Mr. Adams is President of Adams Capital, LLC. He is an expert in the valuation of businesses, business interests, and tangible and intangible property for mergers and acquisitions, corporate recapitalization, privatization, gift and estate tax planning, bankruptcy proceedings, dissenting shareholders, Employee Stock Ownership Plans, and financial and tax reporting. Frequently counseling business owners and families on methodologies to enhance shareholder value. Prior to forming Adams Capital, Mr. Adams practiced business valuation services with Coopers & Lybrand LLP and KPMG Peat Marwick LLP.
Mr. Adams’ extensive corporate finance background includes: sellside and buyside advisory, divestitures, private placements, transaction negotiation, structure, and strategy. Mr. Adams has experience with over 2,000 transactions ranging from multi-billion dollar international conglomerates to smaller family owned and startup businesses. Transaction advisory experience includes: fairness opinions, due diligence, equity structuring, debt structuring, recapitalizations, solvency opinions, acquisition consulting, board presentations, going public, going private, shareholder stock repurchases, and business planning in support of financing. Past clients include Fortune 10 to small cap public companies, private companies, and government entities including the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Defense, and the General Services Administration.
Mr. Adams is an expert at quantifying personal goodwill and structuring compensation for key persons. He routinely assists with business plan preparation and guiding clients through the shareholder growth process.
Mr. Adams frequently works to resolve shareholder disputes related to valuation and governance rights stipulated by shareholder agreements. Complex matters involve multiple classes of stock, warrants, and preference rights involving different vesting, performance, or performance characteristics. Shareholder rights are an important consideration in determining the marketability and control benefits that shareholders may possess. Mr. Adams routinely counsels and quantifies clients on complex shareholder matters.
Mr. Adams has managed major international acquisition engagements in Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Uruguay. Mr. Adams’ industry experience includes agribusiness, automotive, banking, distribution, entertainment, foods, healthcare, high technology, insurance, manufacturing, medical, mining, petrochemicals, plastics, professional services, real estate, retail, telecommunications, textiles, and utilities.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Georgia Society of Certified Public Accountants (GSCPA)
- Past Board Member
- Past President of the Buckhead Chapter
- Past Chair of the Business Valuation and Litigation Section
- Estate, Gift & Trust and Personal Finance Committees
- Leadership Academy Class of 2003
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Society of Cost Engineers (ASCE)
- Atlanta Estate Planning Council (AEPC)
- Board Member, Treasurer
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD)
- Atlanta Chapter, Past Advisory Board Member
- Leadership Georgia, Class of 2005
- Co-author, Valuation Discounts: Staying Ahead of the Curve. The AALU Quarterly, 2009
- Various Professional Publications, 2005 to present
- The Engaged Appraiser in Journal of Practical Estate Planning, June – July 2005
- Co-author, Fundamentals of Business Valuation: Part I. American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2001
- Georgia State University, M.B.A., Atlanta, Georgia, 1988
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Atlanta, Georgia, 1986
- Currently serving on the George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering Advisory Board and Chairing the Advocacy Committee.
- Adams Capital, LLC 1996 to present
- Coopers & Lybrand LLP 1993 to 1996
- KPMG Peat Marwick LLP 1988 to 1993